Monday, October 26, 2009

MY LAST WEEK IN PARIS






Today I was supposed to work at the Ritz.  Long story, but that's not happening until tomorrow.

Although Cora (friend from French school) wanted to have dinner in the restaurant at the Baccarat Museum last Saturday evening, I just wasn't up for a "fussy" dinner.  My stomach couldn't take anymore rich French food, plus those kind of restaurants are so expensive.  Chloe, another friend from school, and I connected and decided that a casual meal would be just what we needed.  We talked about going to a little bistro on my street, but her friend owns a restaurant in the heart of St. Germain des Pres, and she was sure that I'd like it.  After a glass of chamgagne at my apartment, we headed to Les Cinoches.  As is indicated by the name, the restaurant space was formerly a cinema.  The owner used to see movies there when he was a boy.  Contemporary, but in no way cold, Les Cinoches is comfortable, and the huge windows provide some great people watching opportunities. 

Chloe was right.  I did like it.  No, I LOVED IT!   The cuisine was just as it should be; fresh ingredients, straight forward, sophisticated, but not overworked.  The portions were generous, so I'm glad that we just ordered a main course.  We each had the beef filet served with as far as I could tell, a veal and red wine reduction, and another sauce that I think was a sort of a parsley pesto. Tourned potatoes in a cream sauce were on the side.  The dish was both perfectly cooked and seasoned.  I would definitely go back.  Maybe Pierre and Veronique haven't been there.  It would be a kick to recommend a Paris restaurant to them!  The address is One rue de Conde, Paris 75006, telephone: +33 (0) 1 43 54 18 21.


Sunday brought absolutely gorgeous weather.  I just took off walking with no particular plan and ended up on Ile de la Cite (once again).  It was hopping.  I went to see my favorite souvenir merchant Tajal.  As I picked up those few last minutes gifts, the owner of the shop came by to give me a few things.  That's not a good sign.  Apparently, I'm one of their best customers.


There's a quaint little bistro just a block from my apartment called La Horloge (the clock).  Considering the lovely weather, I decided to dine outside.  Like all Paris bistros, they have heaters above the outdoor tables.  Sometimes, they're just too hot . . .like today, for example.  I don't know if bistros always had those heaters, but earlier this year smoking in Paris restaurants and bars was outlawed.  That's a big deal here.  Paris has A LOT OF SMOKERS, and now those outdoor tables are their only refuge.   I ordered the grilled salmon.  Liked it, didn't love it.  It wasn't as good as something I throw together on a weeknight at home.  Still, great atmosphere.


I ran to Le Grande Epicerie Paris for a few groceries, and on my way home I spied this little guy in the doorway of a shop.  I must be missing my Lulu.  He looked a lot like her.  Folks in Paris have cute dogs.

This is were I've been living while in Paris.  It's a great apartment, perfect for one.  Everything's convenient and people are friendly.  Thanks CMG.  This was a great find!

No comments:

Post a Comment



Pittsburgh