Sunday, October 18, 2009

I LOVE THE MARAIS!

The other times that I've visited the Marais have all been during the day.  Little did I know that the Marais truly comes alive at night; and on Sunday when most shops are closed in Paris, things are hopping in that district. With no cars in the streets, just people, it's bustling with young and old alike.  I'm going back next weekend, my last weekend in Paris, and I'm going to start early in the day.  There's a lot to experience.


I met my friends from Alliance Francaise at the Pompidou Center and wasn't quite sure of the plan.  Apparently, there wasn't one.  We just went up top to the restaurant, Georgehad a drink and some enegaging conversation.  Since there's no down time during French classes, we don't really have any chance to get to know one another.  I am so fortunate to have met these women, women from completely different backgrounds than my own.  Cora was born in the Philippines, married a German man, and is now an interior designer in London.  She's lived in Hong Kong, New York, Switzerland, and then, well I just lost track.  What an interesting life she's lead.  Rana is from Riyadh, Saudi Arabi. She's a gorgeous, modern, self-assured Muslim woman, educated with a masters degree in global communications; however, Rana still doesn't drive a car. It's not a "law" in her country, but it just isn't done.  I can't imagine that.  She and I are planning to have dinner next weekend.  I absolutely look forward to it.  She's a darling young woman, loves food as much as I do, and her culture fascinates me.  Chloe, a beautiful, confident nineteen year old is of Indian/Dutch heritage.  Educated in England, she lives between Belgium and Qatar.  When I was nineteen, I still lived in Criders Corners and was working on my English.  These women all speak two or three languages.  They are so very interesting, to say the least. 


Rana took us to her favorite "falaffel stand".  There were lot's of little places where you could get in line, buy your falaffel, and eat on the street; however, this was the only one with a LONG line.  There was a reason for that.  Talk about delicious!  Oddly enough, it was one of the best meals I've had in Paris.  Just the right "street food" always hits the spot. 

This is a short post, but tomorrow is a long day;  French classes in the morning and Escoffier in the evening.  I'm tired just thinking about it, but completely excited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment



Pittsburgh