Saturday, October 10, 2009

Dinner with Friends


Last evening it poured rain.  Although that made us very late for our reservation, the restaurant held our table.  According to Pierre, getting a reservation at a good restaurant on a Friday night in Paris is as difficult as it is in the U.S.  Fogon is located at 45 Quai des Grands Augustins, on the left bank of the Seine.  So close to the Seine that we crossed Pont Neuf to Ile de la Cite in order to find parking.   It seems that Fogon considers itself a Spanish restaurant with French influence.  To me, it was just the reverse.  Their specialty paella (a particular favorite of mine), was unlike any paella that I've ever had.  There was a noticable absense of saffron in all but one of the paella choices.  The ingredients were straight forward, but upon tasting there were unexpected subtleties such as the citrus in the langoustine paella that we ordered.  The choices included:
  • Rice with fresh market vegetables
  • Valencian rice - chicken, rabbit, and vegetables
  • Black rice - calamari, squid ink, with fish stock
  • Banda rice - calamari, saffron, with fish stock
  • Rice with Langoustines - langoustines, calamari, vegetables with fish stock
  • Iberian ham rice - Iberian ham and vegetables with Iberian ham broth

When I make paella, I include some of the above and more.  I just like it all, not to mention lot's of saffron and spices. Forgive me, I was having so much fun with Pierre and Veronique that I forgot to photograph any of the food.  No matter what the menu, it couldn't compare to the interesting conversation and laughter at our table.  Pierre and Veronique are two of the nicest folks that I've ever met. 

I recommend that you experience Fogon for yourself when you visit Paris.  My bottom line is that it's worth it.  My friends found the restaurant good, not great.  I liked it more than they did, but when I'm the guest, I'll always find the food terrific.  The decor is sophisticated and contemporary, yet quite comfortable.  The service was impecable.  The chef has a clearly original culinary point of view. 

I've neglected to mention the tapas course (first course), which was a trio of small dishes:  a chicken/rabbit cake in a sauce of some sort that they referred to as "gazpacho".  (None of us could figure out why).  Nonetheless, it was divine.  The other two were a small piece of dorado (a mild white fish) which was sauteed perfectly, and, most interesting of all, three small pieces of fresh pumpkin, wrapped in bitter greens, and covered with grated manchego cheese.  It all worked for me.  We finished with dessert which was substantial, chocolate, and delicious.  All I remember is chocolate cake topped with mousse topped with a cappucino sugar crust.  That course, in particular, was heavenly.  Their telephone no. is 01 43 54 31 33.  Check it out at http://www.fogon.fr/.


I roamed around Paris today and didn't get lost!  My success was based on using my map and asking directions.  It's about time that I used my head.  While strolling down Rue de Bac, I spotted the most beautiful sight of the day:  this little puppy.  He was tied on a leash just long enough to reach the front door of a fine linen shop.  If he hadn't been tied, I might have stolen him.  I mean that.                                                 


I passed by Le Grande Epicerie Paris on the way back to my apartment.  Stopping by for the essentials; wine, cheese, bread and olives, I couldn't help but wonder about cheese.  Really, in France it's so very significant in cuisine and at meals.  The choices appear to be endless!  I bought some camenbert, goat cheese, and a couple of other types that I'm not sure about.  They are all delicious.  I'm buying a book on cheeses as soon as I can find one in English.  Time to get a handle on this subject. 

Can't be sure what I'm going to do for dinner this evening.  I'm not sure that I'll even be hungry, but I will at least go out for a glass of wine on my street and people watch.  That's my new hobby.                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment



Pittsburgh