Monday, October 12, 2009

ALLIANCE FRANCAISE

Today was the first day of my intensive French classes, four hours a day, everyday this week.  (I haven't decided if next week I can handle language classes and Escoffier at the same time.)  I'd like to give it a try. Right off the bat the teacher Elodie put everyone at ease, although every time I was asked to speak, I got a little knot in my stomach.  I'm over it.  Of the ten people in my class I'm the only American.  There are nine other students representing Japan, Germany, Austria, Netherlands, Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Spain, and Nigeria.  It's a great group.  We're all finding our way and have a lot to laugh about. Not only am I the lone American, I'm the only person in my class that doesn't already speak at least two languages or more.  Time to get busy.  I have to master this one and start on a third!


I thought that there wouldn't be much of anything to write about today until about 5 p.m. While sitting in my living room (studying my French, of course) I heard a band.  A parade had to be marching down the street. The other thought was that there was an Italian festival.  Oh wait, I'm in France.  But that's exactly what it sounded like.  As the music grew closer, I opened my front windows and saw two men, each playing a trumpet, one of them pushing a large machine (held together by strapping tape) which was blasting the harmonious back up.  They were asking passers by for money and not having much luck.  When one of the men saw me taking a photograph, he darted across the street and stood under my window with a cup asking for money.  I dropped the change that I had and waved. 

I thought that would be the end of today's post, but my precious friend Cara told me that I should mention this particular incident. A letter arrived at my home in Austin last Friday informing me that a warrant had been issued for my arrest.  Last July I received a ticket in Hillsboro, Texas for a faulty brake light.  Apparently, I neglected to pay that ticket.  I'm choosing to say that "I fled the country in order to avoid prosecution".  That sounds so much more interesting than, "I'm attending a culinary arts program in Paris and just forgot to pay".  Thank goodness I have an amazing lawyer.  Wouldn't want to mention any names.

5 comments:

  1. You should have fled to the Red Hill Ranch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cherie, I just caught up, reading straight through from the beginning of your journey through today. What an amazing adventure you are having! I also sent an invitation to Laura Michele to tag along.

    Your words capture not only the medley that is Paris, they express your joy in what you are doing, seeing, experiencing. How fortunate you are!

    Bon chance avec L'Alliance Francais and Escoffier! I hope you will be able to handle immersing yourself in both the language and culinary arts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of having a friend who has fled prosecution in the State of Texas, visualizing Texas Rangers in pursuit, on horseback...she is holed up in Paris, assuming a new life as a French chef! At the Escoffier of course, what else would a Texan do!
    Love the daily escape...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you know a good attorney who will probably take care of this matter. I always say if I get caught fleeing the state or country for an unpaid ticket like my sister Sherry, I have a good attorney who probably take care of it for free. I'm glad your letting everyone know where your at, that way the law can find you too. Have fun on your daily adventures. Glad to know your alive. Did you know when you called Betts the other day, she was at a memorial service and she forgot to shut the ringer off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a rebel you are! Should have said it was for felony possession instead of faulty brake lights!

    ReplyDelete



Pittsburgh