Friday, October 16, 2009

MORE GOOD TIMES WITH PIERRE AND VERONIQUE

French classes are becoming more challenging. There’s a lot to process. After yesterday's session, I stopped at a local restaurant to grab some lunch. "Le Rousseau" is typically French, the décor, the food, certainly the patrons. I'm using my French more and more.  It's actually going pretty well.  Being fearless helps. I ordered steak frites, a traditional dish that I wanted to make sure I enjoyed before returning to the U.S. It's hangar steak and french fries.  Nothing particularly unusual about this lunch, but enjoyable nonetheless.







Last evening my friends Pierre and Veronique came by at 8:15 to pick me up for dinner. Once again, I so enjoyed their company. We went to a restaurant on the Left Bank called Ze Kitchen Galerie. Pierre told me that they just went ahead and called it Ze Kitchen Galerie, because the French have a hard time pronouncing “the”.  Florence, Veronique’s sister showed up just before we ordered. She is one of the most interesting women that I have ever met.  Accomplished in the financial arena, she has traveled and lived all over the world. It was great to see her again.


This restaurant boasts a delicious and totally unique French/Asian fusion menu. The meal began with sea urchin, oysters, scallops and tarama in a lemongrass jus, and butter bean soup, chantrelles, chorizo with a lemongrass condiment. We all shared, and it was AMAZING!  In fact, every bite was so good that I forgot to photograph our food.  As an entree, Florence and I each ordered the “Wagyu” beef (medium rare) with tamarin-prune sauce. Pierre got the grilled duck and foie gras with ginger and beetroot jus. I tasted Pierre’s dinner (terrific) and was so busy diving into mine, that I once again, forgot to photograph that course.  I can’t even tell you what Veronique ordered. Wagyu beef was on my mind.  The portions were small (not too small), which is typical in Paris, the beef was tender, and the sauce altogether divine.







I wanted to order every dessert on the menu, but the one that caught my eye, the one that I couldn’t have ever imaged, was white chocolate and wasabi ice cream with pistachio sauce and green tea emulsion. If I hadn’t tasted it, I wouldn’t have believed it. The flavors were perfectly blended into an unforgettable culinary experience. I’m not exaggerating. Apparently, this is their signature dessert.  Pierre offered me a bite of his roasted fig, grape, lemongrass ice cream. Although unique and delicious, I made the right choice.







Collecting menus from Paris restaurants has become a little hobby on this trip. If I think that it might be an issue, I tell them that I’m an American writer. Doors open. I know it’s a stretch, but it works. Last night, when I wasn’t paying attention, Pierre told the maitre’d that I was a writer for The New York Times. Not only did they bring a menu to our table, but the chef personally signed it to me. What a perfect evening. I’m really into laughing and eating, and that’s just what we did. Their kind hospitality will never be forgotten.







Like I said, classes are getting a lot more difficult. There’s just so much! Feeling that fall chill while walking home, a hearty French lunch sounded like a good idea. I stopped by the little bistro down the street from my apartment (the one where I had the scrumptious cassoulet). Frederick, the owner, remembered me and introduced me to everyone within ear shot. He made a point to tell me that today’s special was coq au vin. That’s pretty much an old rooster cooked in wine. The dish is cooked low and slow in order to make sure that the meat will be “falling off the bone” tender, and it was! Yet again, I was more than pleased with my meal at this establishment. Something extra special about this little spot is that it has a real “neighborhood” feel. The employees and customers are friendly people. I’ll go back before I head home to the U.S.







No particular plans tomorrow. I'll probably just venture out to see more of Paris.  On Sunday I'm meeting Cora, Chloe, and Rana, students in my class at Alliance Francaise. We’re going to lunch and museum hopping in “the Marais”. Looking forward to it.











No comments:

Post a Comment



Pittsburgh