Wednesday, October 7, 2009

CASA OLYMPE




Finally, maybe my body clock is starting to adjust.  I actually woke up at 8:30 a.m.  After packing up the essentials, cameras, water bottle, guide book, and more, I headed for Ile de la Cite, a boat-shaped island on the Seine. On that island is Notre-Dame des Paris. Although I have had the priviledge of visiting Notre-Dame several times in the past, it's always new.  My timing was good, and I actually was able to go to Mass.


I cannot fathom the number of hours that it took to craft all of the stained glass in the cathedral.  For me that is the most breath-taking component of Notre-Dame.  There are so many intricate, exquisite windows, I didn't want to publish all of them.  I hope that you'll go and see for yourself. 

Hunger began to distract me from my sight-seeing.  I remembered a restaurant suggestion made by Gabriel, my sweet, polite, 25 year old real estate agent. (He's basically responsible for whatever goes wrong in my apartment.  That's pretty much the tv, the phone, and the washing machine - this week.)  When he heard that I was a chef, he gave me a card for his aunt's restaurant, Casa Olympe.
God Bless Gabriel!

I grabbed a taxi and headed across town anxious to actually push this culinary adventure beyond grocery stores and open-air markets.  When I pulled up, it was just as charming as I had imagined. A tiny restaurant, warm, unpretentious, yet sophisticated, Casa Olympe, was a find!  Gabriel had called ahead for me, and they had a table available.  Lucky for me, because the restaurant consists of seven 2-tops and four 4-tops.  That doesn't allow room for a lot of folks.  Dominique, my waiter, was a lovely man who was more than happy to accomodate me in any way.  He brought me a menu in English, and when I told him that I was a chef, he brought me the same menu in French so that I could compare the names of the dishes.  I told Dominique that he should just choose whatever white wine that he thought I should have.  Good job!   



Gorgeous black olives in an herbed oil and fresh bread were brought to my table.  For an appetizer I chose Grilled Eggplant with Tomatoes and Goat Cheese.  The flavors were simple, yet perfectly pairedThe chef came to my table (not Olympe) to inquire about my meal thus far.  Delicieux! as the French would say. As an entree I ordered Curried Swordfish with Ginger Flavored Vegetables.  Another winner, a big one.  The photo doesn't do it justice, yellow food on a yellow plate.  You're just gonna have to trust me on this one.  I was really full, or so I thought.  I forgot that this was a prix fix menu, meaning that dessert was included.  What's a girl to do?  There wasn't even a close second choice. I was going to need the Warm Soft Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Sauce.  It now ranks in my all-time, top five amazing desserts.

                                     
At the top of the menu it says Olympe presents "Common Sense Cooking".  It made plenty of sense to me.

I'm glad that the table next to me wasn't disturbed that I was taking "flash" pictures of my meal.  They probably thought "just another crazy American tourist".  That's okay.  Since I was the last lunch customer, everyone left, and I got the chance to talk with Dominique and Chantal (the other server).  It never ceases to amaze me how facinated the French are with Texas.  They asked me a lot of questions and even had me draw a map of Texas showing just where Austin is.  They wanted to know about President Bush and President Obama.  They wanted to know about cowboys, and they wanted to know about American food.  We talked and laughed while I drank my coffee.  I stayed for two hours.  It was so much fun to have their delightful company.  I promised them that I would return one evening for dinner, as they said that the menu changes to more of a "winter" version in a couple of weeks.


According to Dominique, Olympe Versini is quite well-known in France.  She is a television and radio celebrity.  I'm not surprised.  And yes, I'm going back.

48 Rue Saint Georges, 75009 Paris, Tel. 01 42 85 26 01

1 comment:

  1. Excellent way for your buds to follow you around Paris! Have you ever been to A Priori The salon in Galerie Vivienne (2 ar)? We had a delightful thanksgiving dinner two years ago -

    ReplyDelete



Pittsburgh