Monday, August 1, 2011

FOOD!!!!

Generally, there's not a ton of restaurants open on Sundays in Paris.  Last night I was craving a steak, and no real grocery stores within walking distance were open either.  I took a little stroll through my quiet neighborhood (particularly quiet on Sundays) and happened upon a bistro with people and FOOD!  


People are a good sign.  If a restaurant is dead on a Sunday, you can bet that you'll be dead if you eat there.  Anyway, I got my steak, and it was delicious.  The service wasn't so good, but it didn't matter.  I was in my own little world.  Gorgeous weather and amazing people watching added to the experience.  I'm not big on bearnaise sauce, but I tried theirs.  It was the real deal.


Although I wasn't all that hungry, I decided that a good lunch before I started my final week of French school was in order.  Taking the safe route, I chose the Brasserie Lutetia at the Hotel Lutetia for lunch at their outdoor tables.  The waiters are friendly and professional, and the food . . . terrific!  I ordered a haddock dish with risotto.  Good idea all the way around!


I've stayed at the Hotel Lutetia several times.  I would stay there any time.  The art deco palace has a lot of its own history.  The Hotel was home to Jewish refugees before the Nazis invaded Paris in June 1940.  And . . . General de Gaulle spent his wedding night there.  Besides, I'm a Left Bank girl all the way.  The Lutetia (Rue Raspail) and L'Abbaye (Rue Cassette) are my two favorite hotels in Paris.  


This is my last week at Alliance Francaise.  There are only four of us left from the previous class, but now we've grown to about a dozen, fourteen, or so.  It takes a little heat off of me, because there are so many other people for the teacher to be concerned with, not to mention different strengths among us.  Our teacher Carmen is still the bomb, but the verdict's not in on the personality of the newly formed class.  Stay tuned.  Gotta go.  I've got SO MUCH French homework.  















No comments:

Post a Comment



Pittsburgh